We provide a challenging academic program to all our students.
The Merritt Advantage
The Journey Unfolds
At Merritt Academy, elementary students are actively engaged in learning experiences both in and out of the classroom. Every day students take part in both core and specialty classes designed to provide a breadth of experience with a strength in fundamental academics.
In addition to their time in the classroom, students go on a variety of field trips and take part in hallmarks that makes the curriculum come alive. Genius Hour is a weekly favorite that students look forward to the freedom to work on and expand any topic that interests them outside the norms of the traditional curriculum!
Merritt Academy recognizes each student’s unique strengths and talents and targets instruction to successfully grow and develop those skills.
At Merritt we focus on the importance of enjoying the educational journey. We keep children challenged, engaged, and supported. Every aspect of our school is designed to create the ideal conditions for success:
Our school is built upon three foundational pillars:
We emphasize values throughout our school to help build character in all our students.
We commit to serve every family earning trust through our responsiveness, flexibility, and support.
Merritt Academy is a place that recognizes the abilities of children and targets instruction to successfully grow and develop those talents.
Every aspect of our school is carefully curated to create the ideal conditions for academic and character success
- Expansive 7 Acre Campus with STEAM Lab, Maker Space & Creativity Lab/Art Studio
- Small class sizes with flexible Classroom Seating
- Student-led learning environment, emphasis on collaboration with Genius Hour
- Advanced curriculum, with Renowned Intergenerational Program
- Wide selection of Field trips and Hallmarks specifically designed to integrate with academic curriculum
- Individual assessment for reading and math placement with acceleration and Gifted program starting in Kindergarten
- Daily outdoor recess to promote creative/free play
Our advanced, proprietary curriculum focuses on core academic subjects by balancing innovative, research backed educational practices with traditional educational methods.
Our wide variety of specialty classes further support our core academics and allow students to further develop cross curricular strengths & interest.
At Merritt Academy, the academic curriculum is further enhanced with technology.
- Every classroom is equipped with a SMART Board.
- Students begin using iPads in kindergarten.
- 1st grade through 5th grade students have iPad to supplement classroom learning, coding, video, writing and presentation software.
- On Site is a fully equipped STEAM lab and a maker space which includes a 3D printer.
Field Trips & Hallmarks
Field Trips and Hallmarks are carefully coordinated to enrich our curriculum with a level of interactive learning that encourages excitement and participation.
Students, teachers and parents regularly look forward to many of Merritt’s hallmarks as annual traditions.
Constantly discovering new ways to use the greater D.C. area as our extended classroom adds an unparalleled layer to our student’s academic experience.
Examples of hallmarks and field trips include:
- The White House
- Mount Vernon
- Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
- National Mall Museums
- Corcoran Gallery of Art
We recognize that parents are the subject matter experts on their children and we value their input and participation in the educational process.
The importance of clear lines of communication between school and home is heavily emphasized by:
- Weekly Merritt newsletter from the executive director
- Weekly school highlights email from the principal
- Weekly letter from the classroom teacher
- Formal parent teacher conferences twice a year
Merritt Academy provides a full service cafeteria and menu meeting appropriate nutritional guidelines.
- School day begins with a continental breakfast snack at 6:30 a.m. for before-school care students.
- A hot lunch at midday and snacks are offered as part of your child’s tuition.
- Our early childhood students dine family-style in the classroom while K-8 children sit with classmates in our cafeteria.
- Your child will enjoy seasonal traditions including cookouts on the grill, Friday soup du jour, and special holiday meals.
Examples of our monthly menu are below:
“ Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education. ”
-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Merritt Academy is proud to be recognized as a National School of Character by the Character Education Partnership, a national non-profit coalition based in Washington, D.C.
After School Activities
Merritt Academy provides a safe, enriching afterschool environment for students attending area elementary schools.
Stay up to date with school updates and events by clicking the button below and syncing our calendar.