We provide a challenging academic program to all our students.
Toddlers (12 months to approximately age 2) enjoy learning through play in thoughtfully themed lessons as well as independent exploration. Our teachers introduce basic sign language. Specialists in music and creative movement meet with your child nearly every day.
Your child will develop confidence along with social and emotional skills. Introduction of phonics, mathematical concepts, and other age appropriate academics lay a foundation for your child’s next stage of learning
At Merritt we focus on the importance of enjoying the educational journey. We keep children challenged, engaged, and supported. Every aspect of our school is designed to create the ideal conditions for success.
Our school is built upon three foundational pillars:
We emphasize values throughout our school to help build character in all our students.
We commit to serve every family earning trust through our responsiveness, flexibility, and support.
- Storytime and singing to encourage emerging language development
- Language Arts/Introduction to phonetic sounds and letters
- Activities designed to promote sensory development
- Science exploration in the classroom supported by preschool STEAM specialist
- Gross and fine motor skill development
- Math and manipulatives
- Music and movement
- Outdoor time including nature walks/rides on our tree-lined campus
- Intergenerational Program and Project Pals (with K-8 students)
We recognize that parents are the subject matter experts on their children and we value their input and participation in the educational process.
The importance of clear lines of communication between school and home is heavily emphasized by:
- Weekly Merritt newsletter from the executive director
- Weekly school highlights email from the principal
- Weekly letter from the classroom teacher
- Formal parent teacher conferences twice a year
“ Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education. ”
-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Merritt Academy is proud to be recognized as a National School of Character by the Character Education Partner-ship, a national non-profit coalition based in Washington, D.C.
After School Activities
Merritt Academy provides a safe, enriching after-school environment for students attending area elementary schools.